Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lucy Grey Handbag Cake



I am blessed to have many wonderful people in my life.  One inspirational person is my friend Michelle Thelen.  She has recently launched a fun and fashionable handbag company called Lucy Grey.  A week or so ago there was a pre-launch party for Michelle and we were able to see (and touch!) these fabulous bags. Trust me, they are beautiful.

It was a pleasure making this cake for Michelle.  What I think is so great about her bags is that they have the option of an accessory, such as a bloom or a brooch, thus the ivory sugar paste peony on her cake.  Another great thing about this company is that the handbags are made in Michigan.  I think that is just wonderful.

To learn more about Lucy Grey click here.

I could not be more excited for her and this new adventure!  Bonne Chance, Michelle!

The cake process:


We began with three 9x13 Kahlua Fudge cakes filled with buttercream frosting.


Next came the carving...


Then the fondant...piece by piece...


The ivory sugar paste peony.


The handles drying overnight.




3 comments:

  1. Very nice, and how cute is the idea of putting brooches on a purse!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the thumbnail first and thought, "Why is she blogging about a handbag instead of cake?" I'm a fool, and you do great work!

    ReplyDelete