Monday, June 7, 2010

Wedding Cakes

Wedding season is in full swing and we've been busy!  Here are some of our favorites and a few little stories!

Molly & Jason
Molly and Jason are one of my favorite couples!  I met Molly a year ago and since we met she sent me numerous e-mails with ideas for her cake.  She knew what she wanted but could not commit to a certain design.  When we met again this past April I showed her a cake that I thought would be perfect for her.  She loved it!  I mean, LOVED it!  It made me so happy to see her so happy!  It made my Mom happy to hear her squealing over the cake!  I'll never forget Molly saying that the cake is just like her: pink, glitter and ruffles!  The groom's cake was just like Jason: a bacon cheeseburger!  I was so excited to show Molly and Jason their wedding cake when they stopped by the bakery on the Friday before their wedding.  Nothing makes me happier than making my brides happy!
Before

After
Michelle & Nick
I remember meeting Michelle and being very excited about her wedding cake.  I live vicariously through my brides!  She wanted ruffles, like Molly's cake, details like her elegant black and white invitation and lots of feathers.  It was going to be a fun one!  Again, it's not likely that I see the reaction of my brides to their cake, but I got to see Michelle when we delivered the cake.  She LOVED it and I even made her cry!  Tears of joy, of course!  Seeing her reaction reminds me why I love my job!
Kelly & Peter
I recently found out that Kelly's Aunt was one of my teachers in high school.  Small world!  It was fun working with Kelly and Peter, as they chose a cake that I adored, too!  Again, living vicariously!  Their cake posed a small challenge, as it called for sugar paste ranunculus, which I had not made before.  They are my new favorite sugar paste flower!  The lines on the cake ended up being a very modern spin on the idea of draping the cake with sugar paste.  We will have to do this more often!

Kelly and Peter's Wedding Cake
Up-close image of the ranunculus. 
Centerpieces by Petal & Forrest.
 
Centerpieces by Petal & Forrest.
Kelly surprised Peter with a groom's cake at their rehearsal dinner.  The cake was made to look like their black lab!
         
Black Lab cake complete with MSU bandana.
Shannon & James
Shannon and James had a clear vision for what they wanted for their May wedding.  The brought me one of their favorite Van Gogh paintings and asked that the cake be inspired by it.  It was a fun cake to make!  The painting was hanging at the reception and branches decorated each table.

Congratulations to all of our brides and grooms!  We wish you the best!

Copyright © 2010 Kelly Kobus owner of A Piece O' Cake.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly: Your cakes are UNbelievable!!! I love seeing what you create. That first cake, the "ruffle" cake is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete