Monday, November 9, 2009

Edible Gift Box



Happy Birthday!  This cake was created for my college roommate's ( and good friend) mother last week in celebration of her birthday.  I absolutely love making cakes for special people in my life.  It brings me great pleasure to be a part of the celebration.

Britt and I were roommate's our freshman year at Albion College.  Britt and I are very opposite in some ways.  I am bright colors and pastels, she is rich jewel tones.  Our mothers are the same way, thus where we get our style!  So when she asked me to make her mother's birthday cake her only request was no pastels!  :-)  In college it was as though a line of color separated our spaces.  My side was hot pink and lemon yellow and her side was rich burgundy, gold and amber.  It was a fun room!  There was certainly no lack of color!

I will be making Britt's wedding cake next September and I cannot wait!  She told me to "just make something!"  This will be fun.  I think my only guideline is "no pastels."  :-)



Unfortunately, photos never do a cake justice.  The texture on her mother's cake was achieved through the use of colored dusting powder.  It had the look of velvet on top of deep purple fondant.  It was so pretty.



Britt's family loves buttercream, but we couldn't make the box look real unless we used fondant.  So to make up for it I split all of the layers of the kahlua fudge cake (for all flavors click here) and alternated buttercream and chocolate ganache in between each layer.  It looked (and hopefully tasted) divine!  I'm sure with all of that buttercream and ganache they did not mind the fondant one bit!



Happy Birthday, again!

No comments:

Post a Comment